Definition of Colourless
1. Adjective. Lacking in variety and interest. "A colorless description of the parade"
2. Adjective. Weak in color; not colorful.
Attributes: Color, Colour, Vividness
Also: Achromatic, Neutral
Similar to: Ashen, Blanched, Bloodless, Livid, White, Bleached, Faded, Washed-out, Washy, Drab, Sober, Somber, Sombre, Dulled, Greyed, Blanched, Etiolate, Etiolated, Lurid, Pale, Pallid, Wan, Pastelike, Pasty, Prefaded, Waxen, Waxlike, Waxy, White, Whitened
Derivative terms: Colorlessness, Colourlessness
Definition of Colourless
1. Adjective. Having no, or little colour. ¹
2. Adjective. (context: of a liquid) water white. ¹
3. Adjective. Lacking in interest or variety. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Colourless Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Colourless
Literary usage of Colourless
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Chemical News and Journal of Industrial Science (1896)
"There is little doubt, therefore, that selenium and tellurium, like sulphur, have colourless ion?. 24. Metallic cobalt in powder does not absorb helium at a ..."
2. Lessons in elementary physiology by Thomas Henry Huxley (1881)
"The sac-like colourless corpuscle, with its nucleus, is what is called a nucleated cell. It will be observed that it lives in a free state in the plasma of ..."
3. Report of the Annual Meeting (1873)
"The Action of Sunlight on colourless and Coloured Glass. ... These changes in the colourless glasses are from white to yellow, from green to ..."
4. A Text-book of Experimental Psychology: With Laboratory Exercises by Charles Samuel Myers (1911)
"The series of colourless sensations includes every shade of grey between the ... The intensity of a colour (or colourless) sensation is dependent on the ..."
5. A Dictionary of Applied Chemistry by Thomas Edward Thorpe (1921)
"1895, 154 ; and Chem. Soc. Trans. 1897, 71, 350). Properties. colourless crystals of rhomboidal shape, mp 21 l°-212°(decomp.); [a] = + 18° 36' Reaction». ..."
6. The Theory of Heat by Thomas Preston (1904)
"17 Hydrate of ammonia (colourless) .... 15 Nitric acid (pure and colourless) .... 15 Alcohol (absolute and colourless) .... 15 Hydrate of potassium ..."
7. A Dictionary of Applied Chemistry by Thomas Edward Thorpe (1912)
"Thus, colourless benzene with its absorption bands entirely in the ... Benzene is a colourless substance, but gives coloured derivatives when one (or more) ..."
8. Nature by Norman Lockyer (1877)
"414 particles, and partly of a non-crystalline amorphous substance or paste, which may be (a) a colourless but more usually yellow,brown, or grey glass ..."