Definition of Common carrier
1. Noun. A person or firm in the business of transporting people or goods or messages.
Specialized synonyms: Line
Generic synonyms: Business, Business Concern, Business Organisation, Business Organization, Concern
Derivative terms: Carry
Lexicographical Neighbors of Common Carrier
Literary usage of Common carrier
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. South Eastern Reporter by West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals, West Publishing Company, South Carolina Supreme Court (1911)
"A bill of lading Is "a written acknowledgment by the common carrier of the ... "The duties of the common carrier as such do not rest upon contract. but nre ..."
2. United States Supreme Court Reports by Lawyers Co-operative Publishing Company, United States Supreme Court (1889)
"(n) That all charges made by any common carrier, subject to the provisions of this Act, for «78 make no change therein except after ten ..."
3. The Law of Contracts by Theophilus Parsons (1873)
"SECTION VI "WHO IS A common carrier. ' To determine who is a common carrier, we adopt the definition of Mr. Chief Justice Parker of Massachusetts. ..."
4. The Law of Contracts by Theophilus Parsons (1893)
"249, it was resolved, that " any man undertaking for hire to carry the goods of all persons indifferently Ua common carrier." (d) Gordon v. ..."
5. Appletons' Annual Cyclopædia and Register of Important Events of the Year (1888)
"If euch common carrier, within the time specified, shall make reparation for the injury alleged to have been done, said carrier shall be relieved of ..."
6. Handbook of the Law of Torts by Heman Gerald Chapin (1917)
"It has been seen that the liability of innkeeper and common carrier may be regarded as tortious or contractual.182 The former, while bound only to exercise ..."