Definition of Compass point
1. Noun. Any of 32 horizontal directions indicated on the card of a compass. "He checked the point on his compass"
Generic synonyms: Direction
Specialized synonyms: Cardinal Compass Point, Nbe, North By East, Nne, Nor'-nor'-east, North Northeast, Nebn, Northeast By North, Ne, Nor'-east, Northeast, Northeastward, Nebe, Northeast By East, East Northeast, Ene, East By North, Ebn, East By South, Ebs, East Southeast, Ese, Sebe, Southeast By East, Se, Sou'-east, Southeast, Southeastward, Sebs, Southeast By South, Sou'-sou'-east, South Southeast, Sse, Sbe, South By East, Sbw, South By West, Sou'-sou'-west, South Southwest, Ssw, Southwest By South, Swbs, Sou'-west, Southwest, Southwestward, Sw, Southwest By West, Swbw, West Southwest, Wsw, Wbs, West By South, Wbn, West By North, West Northwest, Wnw, Northwest By West, Nwbw, Nor'-west, Northwest, Northwestward, Nw, Northwest By North, Nwbn, Nnw, Nor'-nor'-west, North Northwest, Nbw, North By West
Definition of Compass point
1. Noun. Any of the horizontal directions indicated on a compass. There may be 4, 8, 16 or 32 compass points on a compass, depending on its size and accuracy. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Compass Point Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Compass Point Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Compass Point
Literary usage of Compass point
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The American Journal of Psychology by Granville Stanley Hall, Edward Bradford Titchener (1893)
"Bring the compass point to a division of the scale, fixate the division mark and then move the compass point away, and slide the rule to the right or left, ..."
2. Transactions of the Asiatic Society of Japan by Asiatic Society of Japan (1882)
"The W. compass point ... the S. compass point is the W. typhoon point, and the E. compass point is the S. typhoon point; hence, to locate the centre as to ..."
3. Practical Physics by Richard Glazebrook, Napier Shaw (1894)
"with one steel compass-point fixed at one end of it, and another attached to a sliding piece ... It is the inside edge of the compass- point which has to be ..."
4. The Bahamas: A Taste of the Islands by Paris Permenter, John Bigley (2000)
"compass point is about 25 minutes west of Nassau, set away from the casinos and ... You might get lucky and spot a familiar face at compass point, ..."
5. The Sailor's Horn-book for the Law of Storms by Henry Piddington (1860)
"Thus the North wind-circle-point is at the Western Compass-point in the Northern Hemisphere, and at the East Compass-point iu the Southern Hemisphere. ..."
6. The Principles of Psychology by William James (1918)
"As the compass-point passes from C to D, the line appears to move downwards; as it passes from D to E, the line appears to move upwards; at the same time ..."
7. Elementary General Science by Daniel Russell Hodgdon (1918)
"At what places in the United States would the compass point at the north pole and the ... In what direction does the compass point in Alaska? 13. ..."
8. Mechanics' Pocket Memoranda: A Convenient Pocketbook for All Persons by International Correspondence Schools (1897)
"By such an arrangement, the lengths of the courses are found by subtracting the number of the station of one compass point from the number of the station of ..."