Definition of Connecticut
1. Noun. A New England state; one of the original 13 colonies.
Generic synonyms: American State
Group relationships: America, The States, U.s., U.s.a., United States, United States Of America, Us, Usa, New England
Terms within: Bridgeport, Farmington, Capital Of Connecticut, Hartford, New Haven, New London, Waterbury, Housatonic, Housatonic River, Long Island Sound, Taconic Mountains
2. Noun. A river in the northeastern United States; flows south from northern New Hampshire along the border between New Hampshire and Vermont and through Massachusetts and Connecticut where it empties into Long Island Sound.
Group relationships: America, The States, U.s., U.s.a., United States, United States Of America, Us, Usa
Generic synonyms: River
3. Noun. One of the British colonies that formed the United States.
Definition of Connecticut
1. Proper noun. A (USstate) Capital: Hartford. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Connecticut Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Connecticut
Literary usage of Connecticut
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The American Historical Review by American historical association (1899)
"THE connecticut LOYALISTS AT the beginning of the War for American Independence connecticut occupied a phenomenal position in the political hemisphere. ..."
2. The Cambridge Modern History by John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton Acton, Adolphus William Ward, George Walter Prothero, Ernest Alfred Benians, Stanley Mordaunt Leathes (1907)
"The pastures along the rich valley of the connecticut offered a tempting home. ... The emigration to connecticut was complicated by the fact that the ..."
3. Bulletin of the New York Public Library by New York Public Library (1904)
"connecticut Historical Society. Birthday of the state of connecticut. ... Historical notes on the constitutions of connecticut, 1639-1818; particularly on ..."
4. Who's who in America by Marquis Who's Who, Inc (1903)
"Various charter amendments have been made from time to time and in March, 1887, an act passed the General Assembly of connecticut authorizing the use of the ..."
5. The New England Historical and Genealogical Register (1870)
"At that tune, namely 1728, the king and council, on the petition of John Win- throp. the grandson of the first governor Winthrop, of connecticut, ..."
6. United States Supreme Court Reports by Lawyers Co-operative Publishing Company, United States Supreme Court (1890)
" In the fall of 1875, Benjamin Noyes, of New Haven, and Henry D. Walker, of Boston, were officers of the connecticut company, which was then in failing ..."
7. Library Journal by American Library Association, Library Association (1896)
"IT was at one of the early meetings of the connecticut Library Association, held in Hartford, in May, 1891, that the president, Mr. Van Name, ..."