¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Contextless
Lexicographical Neighbors of Contextless
Literary usage of Contextless
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. An Introduction to Modern Logic by Rupert Clendon Lodge (1920)
"Instead of the concrete situation with which we started, we have an almost contextless artefact, intelligible indeed, but connected, ..."
2. The American Journal of Psychology by Granville Stanley Hall, Edward Bradford Titchener (1908)
"... the extreme poverty and the personally motived selection of the illustrations; and the casual and, so to say, contextless reference to other theories. ..."
3. The Will to Believe: And Other Essays in Popular Philosophy by William James (1911)
"These alone are contextless and discontinuous. Hence I think that the sort of loathing — no milder word will do — which the very words ‘psychical research' ..."
4. American Journal of Philology by Project Muse, JSTOR (Organization) (1908)
"Inasmuch, however, as both authors start with fragments, wholly or almost wholly contextless, then 'emend' their fragments in divers ways, at the risk of ..."
5. The Mind of Man: A Text-book of Psychology by Gustav Spiller (1902)
"In these cases the figures and sentences receive a special meaning from the special circumstances, and, therefore, cease to be abstract and contextless. ..."
6. The Socius of Architecture: Amsterdam, Tokyo, New York by Arie Graafland (2000)
"... no guarantee as yet that it won't be developed with the same indifferent office buildings as can be found in the contextless sites such as Sloterdijk. ..."
7. Conceptions of Social Inquiry by J. J. Snyman (1993)
"Because absolute truth (contextless truth) is unattainable, all interpretations of a given text are to be seen as fundamentally contingent and as having ..."
8. Archiprix 2005: The Best Plans by Dutch Students = de Beste Nederlandse by Henk van der Veen (2005)
"The two prototypes are contextless and able to respond to unexpected situations. Their purpose is to get the transformation of the urban fabric under way. ..."