Definition of Corallorhiza
1. Noun. Genus of leafless root-parasitic orchids having small purplish or yellowish racemose flowers with lobed lips; widely distributed in temperate regions.
Generic synonyms: Liliopsid Genus, Monocot Genus
Group relationships: Family Orchidaceae, Orchid Family, Orchidaceae
Member holonyms: Coral Root
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Corallorhiza Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Corallorhiza
Literary usage of Corallorhiza
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States: Canada and the British by Nathaniel Lord Britton, Addison Brown (1896)
"Ophrys corallorhiza L. Sp. Pl. 945. 1753. corallorhiza innala R. Br. in Ait. Hort. ... Ascends to 3ooo ft. in North Carolina. July-Sept. _/ 3. corallorhiza ..."
2. Journal of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia by Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (1829)
"Notice of a new Species of corallorhiza. By SOLOMON W. CONRAD. (Read June 9, 1829.) corallorhiza ..."
3. Our Native Orchids: A Series of Drawings from Nature of All the Species by William Hamilton Gibson, Helena Dewey Leeming Jelliffe (1905)
"... XIII corallorhiza CORALROOT. (Plate LI.) DOES every family have its degenerate members ? In the social world degeneration seems to mean the ability to ..."
4. Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club by Torrey Botanical Club (1894)
"945 (1753) corallorhiza innata R. Br. in Ait. Hort. Kew. ... corallorhiza striata Lindi. Gen. and Sp. Orch. 534 (1840). corallorhiza ..."
5. List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta Growing Without Cultivation in by Botanical Club (1894)
"corallorhiza R. Br. in Ait. Hort. Kew. Ed. 2, 5 : 209 (1813). 1270. ... corallorhiza striata Lindl. Gen. and Sp. Orch. 534 (1840). corallorhiza ..."