Definition of Coxae
1. Noun. (irregular plural of coxa) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Coxae
1. coxa [n] - See also: coxa
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Coxae Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Coxae
coxae (current term)
Literary usage of Coxae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Manual on the Study of Insects by John Henry Comstock, Anna Botsford Comstock (1895)
"Posterior coxae not dilated into plates partially protecting the femora. O. Posterior coxae flat, not prominent, covered by the femora in repose. p. ..."
2. The Entomologist; an Illustrated Journal of General Entomology by Edward Newman, Royal Entomological Society of London (1882)
"Legs red ; hind coxae and femora black ; hind coxae unarmed. 14. ... Hind coxae armed. Abdominal segments, 1st to 4th, red, 1st more or less black ; post- ..."
3. Rhynchophora Or Weevils of North Eastern America by Willis Stanley Blatchley, Charles William Leng (1916)
"... front coxae contiguous, large and prominent, hind ones widely separated. Legs rather long and slender (except in ..."
4. Microscopy for Beginners: Or, Common Objects from the Ponds and Ditches by Alfred Cheatham Stokes (1887)
"The coxae form two groups on each side, the two anterior coxae being in contact by their entire length, as are also the two posterior. ..."
5. Catalogue of the Described Diptera of North America by Carl Robert Osten-Sacken (1862)
"Hind cosse not sulcate ; 14 Hind coxae sulcate for reception of thighs ; Anterior coxae transverse or conical. 13 Anterior coxae globose ; Anterior coxal ..."
6. Transactions of the Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences by Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences (1914)
"coxae of the ist pair of legs completely separated by the coxae of the ... wedge-shaped, coxae of first pair of legs contiguous at base. ..."