Definition of Cranks
1. Noun. (plural of crank) ¹
2. Noun. (archaic baseball slang) An 1800s baseball term meaning the fans. ¹
3. Verb. (third-person singular of crank) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Cranks
1. crank [v] - See also: crank
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Cranks Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Cranks
Literary usage of Cranks
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Kinematics of Machinery: Outlines of a Theory of Machines by Franz Reuleaux (1876)
"Anti-parallel cranks. By means of pair-closure we can, as we have already seen in § 47, convert the crank parallelogram into an anti-parallelogram," and ..."
2. The Elements of Machine Design by William Cawthorne Unwin (1907)
"ENGINE cranks 11o. Engine cranks are of cast or wrought iron. ... Disc cranks have plain circular discs, instead of the ordinary crank arm, and they have ..."
3. The Horseless Age (1899)
"The class of crank-shafts to which the invention relates comprises those having two cranks at some intermediate point on the crank-shaft and a common ..."
4. Applied Mechanics: An Elementary General Introduction to the Theory of by James Henry Cotterill (1895)
"In the case of a pair of cranks at right angles, draw the polar diagram of crank effort when the connecting rod is indefinitely long, and find the ratio of ..."
5. Cassier's Magazine edited by [Anonymus AC02877163] (1896)
"In the writer's'view, however, five cranks offer in many ways decided advantages over four cranks, and it would seem that if three cranks be abandoned, ..."
6. The Complete Works of Gustave Flaubert: Embracing Romances, Travels by Gustave Flaubert, Ferdinand Brunetière (1904)
"... at the same time, to Pierre Leroux, Proudhon, Considérant, Lamennais, and all the cranks, all the Socialists. "For, in fact, what is it they want? ..."
7. Text-book of Advanced Machine Work: Prepared for Students in Technical by Robert Henry Smith (1919)
"Lines EV, on each fixture are used to aline cranks with fixtures when sides of fixtures are not ... To aline center fixtures and lay out cranks, Fig. 40. ..."