Definition of Crown-beard
1. Noun. Any plant of the genus Verbesina having clustered white or yellow flower heads.
Generic synonyms: Composite, Composite Plant
Group relationships: Genus Verbesina, Verbesina
Specialized synonyms: Actinomeris Alternifolia, Golden Honey Plant, Golden Ironweed, Verbesina Alternifolia, Wingstem, Yellow Ironweed, Butter Daisy, Cowpen Daisy, Golden Crown Beard, Golden Crownbeard, Verbesina Encelioides, Ximenesia Encelioides, Gravelweed, Verbesina Helianthoides, Frost-weed, Frostweed, Verbesina Virginica, Virginia Crownbeard
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Crown-beard Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Crown-beard
Literary usage of Crown-beard
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings of the American Pharmaceutical Association at the Annual Meeting by American Pharmaceutical Association, National Pharmaceutical Convention, American Pharmaceutical Association Meeting (1882)
"In cultivated places. Introduced «bout I860. Verbesina sinuata. Crown beard. Verbesina Virginica. Crown beard. In Ellis and Labette counties Rare. ..."
2. Flora of Pennsylvania by Thomas Conrad Porter (1903)
"... L. VIRGINIA CROWN BEARD. (Man. p. 996 ; IF f. 3920.) In dry soil, Pa. to Va., 111. aud Kans., south to Fla. and Tex.—Pennsylvania : FRANKLIN. 2. ..."
3. Cyclopedia of American Horticulture: Comprising Suggestions for Cultivation by Liberty Hyde Bailey, Wilhelm Miller (1900)
"Crown is also applied to the top of a bulb, conn, or upright rootstock: also that part of a plant at the surface of the ground. CROWN BEARD. ..."
4. Medical Lexicon: A Dictionary of Medical Science : Containing a Concise by Robley Dunglison (1868)
"... VIRGIS'ICA, Crown Beard. Indigenous. Order, Compositi». A decoction of the roots is used by the Indians as a diaphoretic and depurative. ..."