Definition of Current of air
1. Noun. Air moving (sometimes with considerable force) from an area of high pressure to an area of low pressure. "The radioactivity was being swept upwards by the air current and out into the atmosphere"
Specialized synonyms: Airstream, Calm, Calm Air, Air, Breeze, Gentle Wind, Zephyr, Chinook, Chinook Wind, Snow Eater, Harmattan, Crosswind, Foehn, Fohn, Khamsin, Santa Ana, High Wind, Headwind, Catabatic Wind, Katabatic Wind, Tailwind, Doldrums, East Wind, Easter, Easterly, Northwest Wind, Northwester, Sou'wester, Southwester, Sou'easter, Southeaster, Gale, Blast, Blow, Gust, Monsoon, Monsoon, Boreas, North Wind, Norther, Northerly, Prevailing Wind, Samiel, Simoom, Simoon, South Wind, Souther, Southerly, Squall, Thermal, Draft, Draught, West Wind, Wester
Generic synonyms: Atmospheric Condition, Conditions, Weather, Weather Condition
Terms within: Air
Derivative terms: Windy, Windy
Lexicographical Neighbors of Current Of Air
Literary usage of Current of air
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London by Royal Society (Great Britain) (1904)
""The Evaporation of Water in a Current of Air." By EDGAR PHILIP PERMAN, Assistant Lecturer in the University College of South Wales and Monmouthshire. ..."
2. The American Journal of the Medical Sciences by Southern Society for Clinical Investigation (U.S.) (1865)
"By making the patient rub his head and hair, the current of air carried to a ... But as the current of air passed over the vessels of ice it deposited its ..."
3. Transactions by American Ethnological Society (1859)
"This, it is well known, is a great advantage over the old system of carrying; one unbroken current of air through a mine; for let us suppose that, ..."
4. The Philosophy of Music: Being the Substance of a Course of Lectures by William Pole (1879)
"Instruments sounding by the action of elastic membranes on a current of air. Another mode of sound production, somewhat analogous to the last named, ..."