Definition of Cyclades
1. Noun. The Bronze Age civilization on the Cyclades islands in the southern Aegean Sea that flourished 3000-1100 BC.
Generic synonyms: Aegean Civilisation, Aegean Civilization, Aegean Culture
2. Noun. A group of over 200 islands in the southern Aegean.
Group relationships: Ellas, Greece, Hellenic Republic
Generic synonyms: Aegean Island
Definition of Cyclades
1. Proper noun. An Aegean island chain in southeast-central Greece, surrounding the main island Delos, further including the islands of Andros, Naxos, Paros, Santorini, Syra, Tinos and Zea. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Lexicographical Neighbors of Cyclades
Literary usage of Cyclades
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Studies of the Gods in Greece at Certain Sanctuaries Recently Excavated by Louis Dyer (1891)
"Neither of these terms was known in Homer's or Hesiod's day, and of the two the term cyclades was not only the first to be used later on, but was also far ..."
2. A Manual of Ancient History, from the Earliest Times to the Fall of the by George Rawlinson (1871)
"The cyclades. These islands are said, to have been originally peopled by Carians ... The largest, and, politically speaking, most important of the cyclades ..."
3. New Englander and Yale Review by Edward Royall Tyler, William Lathrop Kingsley, George Park Fisher, Timothy Dwight (1891)
"A STORY FROM THE cyclades. . FKOM Tenedos to the near Lesbian shore, From Lesbos to ... to the long forsaken homes Across the cyclades, from isle to isle, ..."
4. The geography of Herodotus by James Talboys Wheeler (1854)
"I. THE cyclades mentioned by Herodotus are thir- i- The cy- teen in number ... which formed the cen- Ddos, the tre of the cyclades, was celebrated as having ..."
5. The Oldest Civilization of Greece: Studies of the Mycenaean Age by Harry Reginald Hall (1901)
"... Delos was the first of the cyclades to be occupied by the Greeks. The mention of this island in the Odyssey might then be taken to indicate that at the ..."
6. History of Greece by George Grote (1849)
"cyclades. AMONG the Ionic portion of Hellas are to be reck- The islands oned (besides Athens) Euboea, and the numerous dades. y group of islands included ..."
7. Catalogue of the Greek Coins of Ionia by Barclay Vincent Head, Reginald Stuart Poole, British Museum Dept. of Coins and Medals (1892)
"The remaining types are more difficult to attribute if we confine our attention to the cyclades, but if we extend our field of choice so as to include the ..."