Definition of Dapple-grey
1. Noun. Grey with a mottled pattern of darker grey markings.
Generic synonyms: Gray, Grayness, Grey, Greyness
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Dapple-grey Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Dapple-grey
Literary usage of Dapple-grey
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Sportsman's Dictionary: Or The Gentleman's Companion: for Town and ... (1800)
"Dapple grey ; a very common colour, and is not fo good as the laft but one. 17. Sallow grey ; a grey mixed ..."
2. Welsh Lyrics of the Nineteenth Century by Edmund Osborne Jones (1896)
"Back shrank his men retreating, But on her steed of dapple grey There rides the stately queen that way Her spouse, Caradoc, meeting. ..."
3. The Ingoldsby Legends, Or, Mirth and Marvels by Thomas Ingoldsby (1879)
"Now speed thee, now speed thee, my good dapple-grey, It shall never be said that ... Thither he urges his good dapple-grey; And the dapple-grey steed, ..."
4. The Sportsman's Dictionary; Or, The Gentleman's Companion: for Town and ...Hunting (1785)
"... that the beft colours are the brown-bay, dapple-grey, roan> bright bay, black with a white near-foot behind, white fore-foot before, white ftar, ..."
5. Saddle and Song: A Collection of Verses Made at Warrenton, Va., During the (1905)
"Smuggler Bill Dashes round by the mill That stands near the road upon Monkton Hill,— " Now speed,—now speed, My dapple-grey steed, Thou ever, my dapple, ..."
6. The Masai: Their Language and Folklore by Alfred Claud Hollis (1905)
"... the dapple grey cow or the cow of many colours. ' In the third person plural of the present and future tenses of the verb a-iyo-u, to wish, ..."