Definition of Dark adaptation
1. Noun. The process of adjusting the eyes to low levels of illumination; cones adapt first; rods continue to adapt for up to four hours.
Medical Definition of Dark adaptation
1. The adjustment of the eye occurring under reduced illumination in which the sensitivity to light is greatly increased or the light threshold is greatly reduced. Dark adaptation is slower than light adaptation. During dark adaptation rhodopsin is built up in the retinal rods. (12 Dec 1998)
Dark Adaptation Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Dark Adaptation Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Dark Adaptation
Literary usage of Dark adaptation
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Journal of General Physiology by Society of General Physiologists, Rockefeller Institute, Rockefeller Institute for Medical Research (1920)
"All the data on dark adaptation show that on entering a dark room after a ... 1 is given the record of a dark adaptation experiment made by Piper (1903). ..."
2. Lectures: On Illuminating Engineering Delivered at the Johns Hopkins by Johns Hopkins University, Illuminating Engineering Society (1911)
"In full dark adaptation the sensitiveness rises more than a thousandfold, as if the fresh pigmentation acted as a sensitizing bath. ..."
3. Illuminating Engineering Practice: Lectures on Illuminating Engineering by University of Pennsylvania, Illuminating Engineering Society (1917)
"Complete dark adaptation is rarely realized, but various degrees of dark ... dark adaptation is built up slowly for some minutes after the removal of all ..."
4. Progressive Medicine by Hobart Amory Hare (1920)
"In general, the reduction of the dark adaptation can be considered as a pathological sign. One dare only quite in a general way assert that disturbances in ..."
5. A Text-book of psychology by Edward Bradford Titchener (1910)
"Twilight vision is primarily dependent, not upon dark-adaptation, ... What dark-adaptation does is to make the greys of twilight vision much clearer and ..."