Definition of De forest
1. Noun. United States electrical engineer who in 1907 patented the first triode vacuum tube, which made it possible to detect and amplify radio waves (1873-1961).
Generic synonyms: Electrical Engineer, Artificer, Discoverer, Inventor
De Forest Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: De Forest Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of De Forest
Literary usage of De forest
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. History of the Huguenot Emigration to America by Charles Washington Baird (1885)
"The widow of Jesse de Forest soon returned with her family to Holland, accompanied by the young medical student, Jean de la Montagne, whose marriage to ..."
2. American Book Prices Current by Katherine Kyes Leab, Daniel J Leab (1905)
"Cf., gt, une., by Riviere, de forest, A., Nov. 21, '04. (765) $5-25. Stevens (Henry). Catalogue of rare Americana. Parts I and 2 (all published). ..."
3. Van Rensselaer Bowier Manuscripts: Being the Letters of Kiliaen Van by New York State Library, Kiliaen van Rensselaer, Arnold Johan Ferdinand Van Laer, Nicolaas de Roever, Susan De Lancey Van Rennselaer Strong (1908)
"Hendrick de Forest was the son of Gerard de Forest's elder brother, ... 1636. w JW de forest, The de Forests of Avesnes, mentions Jean de Forest, ..."
4. The American Historical Register by Charles Henry Browning (1895)
"Simon de Forest appears in record as a merchant in cloth, purchaser of land ... Near the Little Market also resided Philippe de Forest, " living on his ..."
5. Harvard Studies in Classical Philology, Volume 93 by Harvard University (1898)
"MEMOIR OF FREDERIC de forest ALLEN. BY JB GREENOUGH. THE name of Frederic De Forest Allen, late Professor of Classical Philology in Harvard University, ..."
6. Proceedings by Philadelphia County Medical Society (1895)
"BY de forest WILLARD, MD [Delivered January 23,.] MR. PRESIDENT, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN : I cannot close my second year of service as your President without ..."