Definition of Djibouti
1. Noun. Port city on the Gulf of Aden; the capital and largest city of Djibouti.
Generic synonyms: Port, National Capital
Group relationships: Afars And Issas, Republic Of Djibouti
2. Noun. A country in northeastern Africa on the Somali peninsula; formerly under French control but became independent in 1997.
Group relationships: Arab League
Generic synonyms: African Country, African Nation
Terms within: Capital Of Djibouti
Group relationships: Horn Of Africa, Somali Peninsula, Africa
Member holonyms: Djiboutian
Derivative terms: Djiboutian
Definition of Djibouti
1. Proper noun. Country in Eastern Africa, official name: Republic of Djibouti ¹
2. Proper noun. The capital city of Djibouti. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Medical Definition of Djibouti
1. A republic in eastern africa, on the gulf of aden at the entrance to the red sea. Djibouti is also the name of its capital. It was formerly the french territory of afars and issas and later french somaliland, in french hands from 1862 to 1977 when it became independent. The republic was named from the capital, which is said to derive from an afar word gabouri, plate, with reference to a plate woven from doum palm used in ceremonies. (12 Dec 1998)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Djibouti Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Djibouti
djibouti (current term)
Literary usage of Djibouti
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Landmine Monitor Report 1999: Toward a Mine-free World by International Campaign to Ban Land Mines, International Campaign to Ban Landmines (1999)
"djibouti, which obtained independence from France on 27 June 1977, is home to the largest overseas French military base. Approximately soldiers, including ..."
2. Science, Technology, and American Diplomacy (1995) by DIANE Publishing Company (1996)
"This MOU assures USGS personnel access to information about the mineral deposits of djibouti. The US also benefits by establishing long term professional ..."
3. Landmine Monitor Report 2000: Toward a Mine-Free World by International Campaign to Ban Land Mines, International Campaign to Ban Landmines (2000)
"djibouti has not enacted domestic implementation legislation. ... djibouti did not participate in the First Meeting of States Parties in Maputo in May 1999, ..."
4. Agricultural Marketing Directory for U.S. & Africa Trade by Mary E. Lassanyi, Wayne Olson (1997)
"djibouti provides services as both a transit port for the region and an international transshipment and refueling center. ..."
5. Landmine Monitor Report 2002: Toward a Mine-free World by International Campaign to Ban Landmines, Human Rights Watch (Organization). (2002)
"In November 2000, djibouti hosted a conference on landmines for the Horn ... djibouti has not yet submitted its first Article 7 report, due in August 1999. ..."
6. International Religious Freedom (2000): Report to Congress by the Department edited by Barbara Larkin (2001)
"djibouti The Constitution, while declaring Islam to be the state religion, provides for freedom of religion, and the Government generally respects this ..."