Definition of Doryopteris
1. Noun. Small to medium tropical tufted ferns; sometimes placed in family Adiantaceae.
Generic synonyms: Fern Genus
Group relationships: Family Pteridaceae, Pteridaceae
Member holonyms: Doryopteris Pedata, Hand Fern
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Doryopteris Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Doryopteris
Literary usage of Doryopteris
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Handbook of the Ferns of British India, Ceylon and the Malay Peninsula by Richard Henry Beddome (1883)
"doryopteris. (J. Smith.) (Dory, spear; pteris, form of the fronds.) Fronds small, sub-pedate ... doryopteris LUDENS. (Wall.) Rhizome creeping,furnished with ..."
2. Species Filicum: Being Descriptions of the Known Ferns, Particularly of Such by Sir William Jackson Hooker (1858)
"Pteris (or doryopteris) ... is Pteris (or doryopteris) pedata with free veins. Our excellent has done (in Linnaea, v. xx. p. 342), these two groups of ..."
3. Ferns: British and Exotic by Edward Joseph Lowe (1868)
"A DWARF handsome Fern, less than doryopteris palmata, and yet very much resembling that species, although not so much divided on the frond. ..."
4. Historia Filicum: An Exposition of the Nature, Number and Organography of by John Smith (1875)
"... first being free and in the second anastomosed in various ways. Sect. 1.—Veins anastomosing. 163.—doryopteris, /. 8m. (1841). Pteris sp. auct., sect. ..."