Definition of Douglas fir
1. Noun. Strong durable timber of a douglas fir.
2. Noun. Tall evergreen timber tree of western North America having resinous wood and short needles.
Specialized synonyms: Douglas Hemlock, Douglas Pine, Douglas Spruce, Green Douglas Fir, Oregon Fir, Oregon Pine, Pseudotsuga Menziesii, Big-cone Douglas Fir, Big-cone Spruce, Pseudotsuga Macrocarpa
Generic synonyms: Conifer, Coniferous Tree
Douglas Fir Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Douglas Fir Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Douglas Fir
Literary usage of Douglas fir
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Improving Planting Stock Quality: The Humboldt Experience by James L. Jenkinson (1995)
"... on emergence of Douglas-fir in March and May sowings in Humboldt Nursery Table 19—Survival and growth in field performance tests of 1-0 Douglas-fir from ..."
2. Johnson's Materials of Construction by John Butler Johnson (1918)
"From a boiling treatment (see Art. 220), on douglas fir timbers, both green and air-seasoned stringers lost about one-third of then- normal strength. ..."
3. Building Construction and Superintendence by Frank Eugene Kidder (1915)
"douglas fir $(Pseudotsuga taxifolia). This species, which is neither true pine, spruce, nor fir, but a sort of bastard hemlock, is now considered by many as ..."
4. The Important Timber Trees of the United States: A Manual of Practical by Simon Bolivar Elliott (1912)
"One may purchase in market douglas fir, Red Fir, Yellow Fir, Douglas Spruce, Yellow Spruce, and Oregon Pine, and yet all may be cut from the same identical ..."
5. Forestry Quarterly by New York State College of Forestry (1913)
"In 1909 and 1910, the Forest Service sent seed of douglas fir collected at different ... douglas fir has attracted the attention of European foresters for a ..."
6. A Manual of Forestry by William Schlich (1904)
"douglas fir—Pseudotsuga Douglasii (Carr). (The Eed Fir or Oregon Pine of North America.) The douglas fir is a native of the western part of North America, ..."