Definition of Drachms
1. Noun. (plural of drachm) ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Drachms
1. drachm [n] - See also: drachm
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Drachms Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Drachms
Literary usage of Drachms
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Sportsman's Dictionary: Or The Gentleman's Companion: for Town and ...Sports (1800)
"Snake-root, in powder, two drachms ; mithridate, fix drachms ... Jalap, one drachm; India rhubarb, two drachms and a half; ginger, ..."
2. The Merchants' Magazine and Commercial Review by Isaac Smith Homans, William Buck Dana (1860)
"There is, consequently, an excess of 500 drachms, or of 1J oke, upon each cantar of Smyrna—that is to say, a difference of 2.95 per cent. ..."
3. The Old and New Testament Connected, in the History of the Jews and by Humphrey Prideaux (1836)
"(ie the two drachm piece;) and, therefore, if half a shekel contained two drachms, a drachm must have been the quarter part of a shekel, and every shekel ..."
4. The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon (1843)
"(94) of drachms ; or about four millions and a half sterling. ... Their whole tax amounted indeed to no more than one hundred and fifty drachms, ..."
5. Greece: II. Grecian History to the Reign of Peisistratus at Athens by George Grote (1899)
"But when we pass to the second class, or knights, the proportion of the two is changed, — the knight possessing an income of just three hundred drachms, ..."
6. A Universal formulary: Containing the Methods of Preparing and Administering by Robert Eglesfeld Griffith (1866)
"Powdered resin, two drachms. Mil. Doee, twenty to thirty grains. Beatley. ... Inspissated ox gall, three drachms. Extract nf gentian, half an ounce. ..."
7. Dr. Chase's Recipes: Or, Information for Everybody; an Invaluable Collection by A W Chase, William Wesley Cook (1920)
"Tincture of aconite, 10 drops; tartar emetic, %• drachm; saltpeter, 1 drachm; ginger, 2 drachms; linseed meal, 1 ounce; mix, and form into a ball; ..."
8. The Chemical Works of Caspar Neumann by Caspar Neumann, William Lewis (1773)
"... two ounces of brown powder Sugar, nine drachms ot white Sugar Candy, nine drachms of brown Sugar Candy, nine drachms of Canary Sugar, one ounce of white ..."