Definition of Dress uniform
1. Noun. A military uniform worn on formal occasions.
Generic synonyms: Military Uniform
Category relationships: Armed Forces, Armed Services, Military, Military Machine, War Machine
Lexicographical Neighbors of Dress Uniform
Literary usage of Dress uniform
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Scientific American Reference Book by Albert Allis Hopkins, Alexander Russell Bond (1905)
"Private of Cavalry, full-dress uniform. 19. Sergeant of Artillery in ... Captain Coast Artillery, in dress uniform and overcoat. or artillery called the ..."
2. The Century Illustrated Monthly Magazine (1892)
"... a distinctive uniform to whose history they are attached ; others have the full-dress uniform of the army, and some have no full-dress uniform at all. ..."
3. A Naval Encyclopædia: Comprising a Dictionary of Nautical Words and Phrases (1880)
"Service-dress uniform is worn by all officers when attached to any vessel of the navy or coast survey, to any navy-yard or station, or to any hospital or ..."
4. A Military and Naval Dictionary by John Philip Wisser, henry Colford Gauss (1905)
"The dress uniform substitutes a frock coat, with a double row of large gilt buttons, ... The uniform of the warrant officers ends with the dress uniform. ..."