Definition of Electric-light bulb
1. Noun. Electric lamp consisting of a transparent or translucent glass housing containing a wire filament (usually tungsten) that emits light when heated by electricity.
Generic synonyms: Electric Lamp
Terms within: Filament
Electric-light Bulb Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Electric-light Bulb Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Electric-light Bulb
Literary usage of Electric-light bulb
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Science of Everyday Life: Projects for Junior High Schools by Edgar Flandreau Van Buskirk, Edith Lillian Smith (1919)
"The usual electric light bulb depends upon the principle that a substance may offer enough resistance to the passage of the current to become white hot. ..."
2. American Electrical Cases: Being a Collection of All the Important Cases by William Weeks Morrill, Frank Bixby Gilbert, Austin B. Griffin (1910)
"... so that at the time aforesaid when the said William Whitten took into his hand* a sixteen-candle power incandescent electric light bulb or lamp in the ..."
3. Simple Experiments in Physics: Mechanics, Heat, Fluids by John Francis Woodhull, May Belle Van Arsdale (1906)
"Consider how heat gets from an incandescent electric light bulb. There is no air between the filament and the glass walls of the bulb. ..."
4. Wilson's Photographic Magazine (1902)
"... light on the negatives, an ordinary metal shade or reflector surrounds the electric light bulb, which should preferably be of ground glass. ..."
5. City and Town: A Fourth Reader edited by Pauline Frost Rafter (1916)
"At the present time the two methods of lighting by electricity are the large arc light and the smaller electric light bulb. The arc light is used for ..."
6. Physical Geography Manual: A Loose Leaf System of Fifty Simple Laboratory by Nels August Bengston (1912)
"The electric light bulb called for can be one which has been "burnt out" and ... Place an electric light bulb on one pan of a balance and place weights on ..."