Definition of Eptesicus
1. Noun. A genus of Vespertilionidae.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Family Vespertilionidae, Vespertilionidae
Member holonyms: Big Brown Bat, Eptesicus Fuscus
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Eptesicus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Eptesicus
Literary usage of Eptesicus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. List of North American Land Mammals in the United States National Museum, 1911 by Gerrit Smith Miller, United States National Museum (1912)
"*eptesicus fuscus osceola Rhoads. 1902. eptesicus fuscus osceola, RHOADS, Proc. ... Costa Rica, Guatemala, and southern Mexico. t*eptesicus fuscus palh'dus ..."
2. The Mammals of Pennsylvania and New Jersey: A Biographic, Historic and by Samuel Nicholson Rhoads (1903)
"It resulted in the destruction of a favorite violin, etc., and so far as we are able to follow the sequel, in the immortality of the bat as " eptesicus ..."
3. Bulletin by Smithsonian Institution, Dept. of the Interior, United States Dept. of the Interior, United States National Museum, United States (1918)
"eptesicus PHASMA Allen. 1893. ... eptesicus CAPENSIS SOMALICUS (Thomae). 1901. ... They may be tending toward eptesicus capensis ..."
4. California Mammals by Frank Stephens (1906)
"Genus eptesicus RAFINESQUE. (House flier.) Skull large and heavily built; size rather large; ... eptesicus fuscus melanopterus REHN. (Black—wing. ..."
5. The Families and Genera of Bats by Gerrit Smith Miller (1907)
"... of normal form the fifth finger exceeds the combined length of metacarpal and first phalanx of fourth or third digit. Genus eptesicus Rafinesque. 1820. ..."