Definition of Eritrea
1. Noun. An African country to the north of Ethiopia on the Red Sea; achieved independence from Ethiopia in 1993.
Generic synonyms: African Country, African Nation
Terms within: Asmara, Asmera, Massawa
Group relationships: Horn Of Africa, Somali Peninsula
Member holonyms: Eritrean
Derivative terms: Eritrean
Definition of Eritrea
1. Proper noun. Country in Eastern Africa. Official name: State of Eritrea. Its capital city is Asmara. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Medical Definition of Eritrea
1. A country of eastern africa, west of the red sea. In ancient times, it formed a part of many kingdoms at different periods. Its capital is asmara. Under italian rule from 1869 to 1890 and under the british as a protectorate until 1952, it was federated with ethiopia in 1952 and was made one of its provinces in 1962. In 1991 eritrea was established as a de facto independent state and became fully independent in 1993. The name eritrea alludes to its location near the red sea since it comes from the greek erythros, red. (12 Dec 1998)
Lexicographical Neighbors of Eritrea
Literary usage of Eritrea
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Catholic Encyclopedia: An International Work of Reference on the by Charles George Herbermann (1913)
"The direct possessions of Italy are tbe colonies of eritrea and Italian ... The colony of eritrea originated in the possession of the Bay of As.su b, ..."
2. The International Geography by Hugh Robert Mill (1915)
"Most of eritrea is a barren, sandy plain, which in places sinks below sea-level. ... eritrea is mainly inhabited by Hamitic races, of which the most ..."
3. Evil Days: Thirty Years of War and Famine in Ethiopia by Alexander De Waal, Human Rights Watch (Organization) (1991)
"Before conquest by Italian forces in the late 1880s, the history of eritrea is controversial — scholars dispute whether significant areas of it were ..."
4. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society by Royal Meteorological Society (Great Britain) (1907)
"The Climate of eritrea, North-East Africa. Capt. Tancredi, in an article in the Itii-istn Colonial*, sums up in a useful way our knowledge of the climatic ..."
5. Food from Peace: Breaking the Links Between Conflict and Hunger by Ellen Messer (1998)
"The precolonial history of eritrea was characterized by intertribal feuding over territories and wars between Islamic Egyptian populations to the northwest ..."
6. Italy's Foreign and Colonial Policy: A Selection from the Speeches Delivered by Tommaso Tittoni, Maggiorino Ferraris (1914)
"BUDGET FOR 1908-1904—(SENATE) The suggested granting of export bounties to our Colony of eritrea —Progress of that region—The Italian ..."
7. Africa by Augustus Henry Keane (1907)
"... VII eritrea AND ABYSSINIA Preliminary Remarks — The Colony of eritrea ... Brava, Mag doshu—Political Relations of eritrea—Extent and Prospects of the ..."