Definition of Euphorbia caput-medusae
1. Noun. African dwarf succulent perennial shrub with numerous slender drooping branches.
Group relationships: Euphorbia, Genus Euphorbia
Generic synonyms: Spurge
Euphorbia Caput-medusae Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Euphorbia Caput-medusae Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Euphorbia Caput-medusae
Literary usage of Euphorbia caput-medusae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Medical Lexicon: A Dictionary of Medical Science ... with French and Other by Robley Dunglison (1860)
"... see Euphorbia caput Medusae. ... Virosa, see Euphorbia caput Medusae. ^SB~ All the spurges are vesicant and ..."
2. Text-book of Botany: Morphological and Physiological by Julius Sachs (1875)
"(4) Membrane-like layers of wax or incrustations ; (a) as a gritty glazing in Sempervivum, Euphorbia Caput-Medusae, Thuja occidentali! ; (b) as thin scales, ..."
3. The Boston Journal of Philosophy and the Arts by John White Webster, John Ware, Daniel Treadwell (1825)
"Euphorbia caput medusae. . Africa. Geranium aconitifolium. . . Alps of Switzerland. Heliotropium peruvianum. . Peru. " corymbosum . do. ..."
4. A Narrative of a Visit to the Mauritius and South Africa by James Backhouse (1844)
"... was feeding indiscriminately on the remains of Crayfish cast up on the shore, and on the Euphorbia Caput- Medusae, an acrid plant with remarkable, ..."
5. The Chemistry of Vegetable & Animal Physiology by Gerrit Jan Mulder (1849)
"The former, we have been able to examine thoroughly in euphorbia caput-medusae, (fig. 66,) where they form a ring round the woody bundles, ..."