¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Evzone
1. a Greek soldier [n -S]
Lexicographical Neighbors of Evzone
evzone (current term)
Literary usage of Evzone
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. With the Greeks in Thessaly by W. Kinnaird Rose (1898)
"At nine o'clock on the Friday night the Greek evzone sentinels observed a body of Turkish ... At one of these, named Kotroni, an evzone tore off his ..."
2. Between the Acts by Henry Woodd Nevinson (1904)
"He was lying flat on the top of the mountain ridge, with a white-skirted evzone on one side and his own corporal on the other. In front the men had piled a ..."
3. Greece: Mainland & Peloponnese by Wolfgang Josing (2000)
"Here too is an evzone guard on parade. ... and Byzantine Museums After passing the evzone barracks on the left. ..."
4. Report of the International Commission to Inquire Into the Causes and (1914)
"When we had formed our ranks, an evzone came up to us, and with him a certain Captain Doukas, and many Greeks of the town. They took from us one by one our ..."
5. With the French in France and Salonika by Richard Harding Davis (1916)
"... steel helmet of a French soldier, the "bonnet" of a Highlander, the white cap of a navy officer, the tassel of an evzone, a red fez, a turban of rags. ..."
6. Macedonia; Its Races and Their Future by Henry Noel Brailsford (1906)
"During the Thessalian campaign of 1897 I was present when an evzone regiment strung up a Turkish prisoner by his heels from a tree, ..."