Definition of Family blattidae
1. Noun. Domestic cockroaches.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Family
Group relationships: Blattaria, Blattodea, Suborder Blattaria, Suborder Blattodea
Member holonyms: Blatta, Genus Blatta, Genus Periplaneta, Periplaneta, Blattella, Genus Blattella, Blaberus, Genus Blaberus
Family Blattidae Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Family Blattidae Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Family Blattidae
Literary usage of Family blattidae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Insects Injurious to the Household and Annoying to Man by Glenn Washington Herrick (1914)
"NUMBERS AND DISTRIBUTION OF COCKROACHES The cockroaches belong to the family Blattidae, which is rather closely related to the family of grasshoppers, ..."
2. Convergence in Evolution by Arthur Willey (1911)
"... "brings them almost into touch with the family Blattidae." l Although termites do not employ slaves as some ants do, yet they entertain guests which are ..."
3. The Elements of Animal Biology by Samuel Jackson Holmes (1919)
"... the cockroach family, Blattidae, etc., are grouped into a larger division, or order, called the Orthoptera (orthos, straight, and pier on wing). ..."
4. Entomological News and Proceedings of the Entomological Section of the by Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia Entomological Section (1916)
"In studying material of the family Blattidae, accidentally introduced in the United States, an undescribed species of ..."
5. Preventive Medicine and Hygiene by Milton Joseph Rosenau, George Chandler Whipple, John William Trask, Thomas William Salmon (1921)
"There are no less than a thousand species of the family Blattidae. Four of these have become domesticated and cosmopolitan. They are Periplaneta americana, ..."
6. Hand-book of Indian Agriculture by Nitya Gopal Mukerji (1901)
"... (i) The commonest example of this order will be found in the Periplaneta orientali«, the ordinary cockroach, belonging to the family Blattidae. ..."