Definition of Family cercopidae
1. Noun. Froghoppers or spittlebugs.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Family
Group relationships: Homoptera, Suborder Homoptera
Member holonyms: Spittle Insect, Spittlebug, Genus Philaenus, Philaenus, Aphrophora, Genus Aphrophora
Family Cercopidae Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Family Cercopidae Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Family Cercopidae
Literary usage of Family cercopidae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Biennial Report by California Dept. of Agriculture, California State Commission of Horticulture (1907)
"... as follows: The Cicadas. Family Cicadidae. The Lantern-fly family. Family Fulgoridae. The Spittle Insects. family cercopidae. The Leaf-hoppers. ..."
2. Biological Bulletin by Marine Biological Laboratory (Woods Hole, Mass.) (1915)
"The family Cercopidae of the Hemiptera does not show as closely graded a series of cytological differences as the orthopteran families studied by McClung. ..."
3. The American Naturalist by American Society of Naturalists, Essex Institute (1908)
"... family Cercopidae. So far as it is known, all the members of this family surround themselves with such a secretion, in which they spend their nymphal ..."
4. Zoology of the Invertebrata: A Text-book for Students. by Arthur Everett Shipley (1893)
"Family CERCOPIDAE (Frog-hoppers).—The anterior wings of these insects are opaque. Their three-jointed antennae end in a bristle. The head is triangular, ..."