Definition of Family cicindelidae
1. Noun. Tiger beetles.
Generic synonyms: Arthropod Family
Group relationships: Coleoptera, Order Coleoptera
Member holonyms: Tiger Beetle
Family Cicindelidae Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Family Cicindelidae Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Family Cicindelidae
Literary usage of Family cicindelidae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Applied Entomology; an Introductory Text-book of Insects in Their Relations by Henry Torsey Fernald (1921)
"family cicindelidae (Tiger beetles) .—The active flight and bright colors of many of the tiger beetles, though most of them are small insects, ..."
2. Studies in Spermatogenesis by Nettie Maria Stevens (1906)
"... (family Cicindelidae) there are 18 chromosomes in the spermatogonium (fig. 198), one being small. The hetero- chromosome group is blended into a ..."
3. Entomology for Beginners for the Use of Young Folks, Fruit-growers, Farmers by Alpheus Spring Packard (1888)
"family cicindelidae. — Antennae on the front above the base of the mandibles; ligula small; female abdomen with 6, male with 7, seg menta. ..."
4. Entomological News and Proceedings of the Entomological Section of the by Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia Entomological Section (1916)
"... the list with each visit, an abandoned road through the hills to the north of this pond being one of my favorite collecting places. Family CICINDELIDAE. ..."
5. The Geographical Distribution of Animals: With a Study of the Relations of by Alfred Russel Wallace (1876)
"In our first representative family, Cicindelidae or tiger-beetles, the Ethiopian region is rather rich, having 13 genera, 11 of which are peculiar to it; ..."
6. Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington by Entomological Society of Washington (1902)
"In the collection made by Edward A. Klages in the southern parts of Venezuela the family Cicindelidae is represented by not less than 16 species and one ..."
7. British Entomology: Being Illustrations and Descriptions of the Genera of ...by John Curtis by John Curtis (1840)
"FAMILY Cicindelidae Lat. Type of the Genus Cicindela campestris L. CICINDELA. * Antenna filiform, inserted into the anterior margin of the eye. (fig. 6. ..."