Definition of Family unit
1. Noun. Primary social group; parents and children. "He wanted to have a good job before starting a family"
Generic synonyms: Clan, Kin, Kin Group, Kindred, Kinship Group, Tribe
Specialized synonyms: Couple, Match, Mates, Man And Wife, Marriage, Married Couple
Specialized synonyms: Bronte Sisters, Marx Brothers
Member holonyms: Child, Kid, Parent, Sib, Sibling
Derivative terms: Familial
Lexicographical Neighbors of Family Unit
Literary usage of Family unit
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Treatment Services for Adolescent Substance Abusers by Alfred S. Friedman (1998)
"The main purpose for including siblings of the drug abuse client in family therapy is to study the effects of treatment of the total nuclear family unit on ..."
2. Inheriting the Earth; Or, The Geographical Factor in National Development by Oscar Diedrich Engeln (1922)
".The family unit owes its cohesion to the ties of blood relationship; the larger unit is not much less conscious than the family of a common bond, ..."
3. The Friendship of Nations: A Story of the Peace Movement for Young People by Lucile Gulliver, David Starr Jordan (1912)
"Our earliest ancestors were © Underwood & Underwood THE family unit An Alaskan household with no thought for the general welfare ignorant men and women, ..."
4. China in Law and Commerce by Thomas R. Jernigan (1905)
"The Emperor is the head of the government, but the family is its base, and it is not from the central head at Peking, but from the family unit that the ..."