¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Favela
1. a slum area [n -S]
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Favela Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Favela
favela (current term)
Literary usage of Favela
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Police Brutality in Urban Brazil by James Cavallaro (1997)
"Telephone records cited in the case confirmed that a phone call had been placed to Marly da Silva's home from the payphone in the favela at about that time. ..."
2. Final Justice: Police and Death Squad Homicides of Adolescents in Brazil by Ben Penglase (1994)
"Even more dramatically, Americas Watch visited a favela on the outskirts of metropolitan Sao Paulo, where a group of justiceiros (literally "justice ..."
3. Brazil by Errol Lincoln Uys (2000)
"Clovis saw the gunners near Correias body glance back in alarm toward the slopes of favela. All around them, soldiers were falling back in that direction ..."
4. The Culture of Violence by Kumar Rupesinghe (1994)
"In the same period she was raped in the favela where she lived. ... At night, she and her companions from the street went to the favela where they were ..."
5. Human Rights Watch World Report 1999 by Human Rights Watch Staff (1998)
"The prosecution of the some fifty police officers responsible for the August 1993 massacre of twenty-one residents of the Vigário Geral favela (shantytown) ..."