¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Favrile
1. an iridescent glassware [n -S]
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Favrile Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Favrile
Literary usage of Favrile
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Winston's Cumulative ... Encyclopedia: A Comprehensive Reference Bookby Charles Morris by Charles Morris (1918)
"The favrile glass, north of China, and the self almost entirely to the production of with which it communicates by the Pei-ho which he discovered, ..."
2. Burr McIntosh Monthlyby Burr William McIntosh by Burr William McIntosh (1908)
"... coral, and jade beads; also richly carved objects of rock crystal; lapis-lazuli, and nephrite favrile GLASS AND METAL WARE: Vases, bowls, wine glasses, ..."
3. American Glassware, Old and New: A Sketch of the Glass Industry in the by Edwin Atlee Barber (1900)
"Such is favrile glass as now produced by the Tiffany Glass and Decorating Co., ... The word "favrile" has been coined by the company as a trade-mark, ..."
4. Catalogue of Exhibitors in the United States Sections of the International ...by 1900 Commission to the Paris exposition, United States by 1900 Commission to the Paris exposition, United States (1900)
"A MEMORIAL WINDOW OF TIFFANY favrile GLASS. DESIGNED BV MR. Louis C. TIFFANY. The exhibit includes artistic glass and metal work, and a full collection of ..."
5. Bulletin of the New York Public Library, Astor, Lenox and Tilden Foundations by New York Public Library (1908)
"Tiffany favrile glass considered in its chronological relationship to other glass, ... H. The Tiffany or " favrile glass." (International Studio. ..."