Definition of Fern ally
1. Noun. Pteridophytes of other classes than Filicopsida.
Specialized synonyms: Whisk Fern, Horsetail, Club Moss, Club-moss, Lycopod, Quillwort
Lexicographical Neighbors of Fern Ally
Literary usage of Fern ally
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Our Native Ferns and Their Allies: With Synoptical Descriptions of the by Lucien Marcus Underwood (1888)
"Ophioglossum pal- matum, another peculiar tropical fern-ally, belongs to the same * This rare fern seems to show a decided preference for limestone rocks, ..."
2. The Auk: Quarterly Journal of Ornithology by American Ornithologists' Union, Nuttall Ornithological Club (1876)
"The only other item of plant food worthy of special note is the velvet duckweed (Azolla caroliniana), a fern ally growing on the water surface of southern ..."
3. Fire Effects Information System: User’s Guide by William C. Fischer, Melanie Miller, Cameron M. Johnston, Jane K. Smith (1998)
"Life form of the plant, from the following list: Tree Shrub Vine Graminoid Forb Cactus Fern or fern ally Bryophyte Lichen Tree, Shrub Shrub, Forb Vine, ..."
4. Rambles in Search of Flowerless Plants by Margaret Plues (1864)
"7) is a curious plant, and also ranked by most authors as a fern ally. Here the seed is contained in vessels imbedded at the base of the leaves. ..."