Definition of Foot lever
1. Noun. A lever that is operated with the foot.
Specialized synonyms: Accelerator, Accelerator Pedal, Gas, Gas Pedal, Gun, Throttle, Brake Pedal, Clutch, Clutch Pedal, Soft Pedal, Loud Pedal, Sustaining Pedal
Group relationships: Bicycle, Bike, Cycle, Wheel, Automotive Vehicle, Motor Vehicle, Organ, Pipe Organ
Generic synonyms: Lever
Derivative terms: Pedal, Treadle
Foot Lever Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Foot Lever Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Foot Lever
Literary usage of Foot lever
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. United States Supreme Court Reports by Lawyers Co-operative Publishing Company, United States Supreme Court (1888)
"In the reissue, on the contrary, the first and fourth claims undertake to cover any form of foot-lever or treadle and hand lever used in combination for the ..."
2. International Library of Technology: A Series of Textbooks for Persons by International Textbook Company (1906)
"Connected to the foot-lever c, is a rod c, that is connected to the lever ... A connection is also formed between the lever c. and the foot-lever c by means ..."
3. The Anatomy of the Automobile by Andrew Lee Dyke (1908)
"With the left foot push forward the clutch foot lever thus unlocking the gears. Then move the gear shifting lever G-4 to its second position forward, ie, ..."
4. Decisions on the Law of Patents for Inventions Rendered by [English Courts by United States Supreme Court, Benjamin Vaughan Abbott, Woodbury Lowery (1892)
"... or the foot-lever may be used to assist in raising or lowering the frame, and the weight of the driver may be thrown upon the foot-lever to force the ..."
5. A Dictionary of Musical Terms: Containing Upwards of 9,000 English, French by Theodore Baker (1895)
"A foot-lever ; as the swell-pedal of the organ, the loud and soft pedals of ... Combination-pedal, a metal foot-lever, placed above the pedal-keyboard of an ..."
6. Transactions of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers by American Society of Mechanical Engineers (1920)
"The hand lever controlling the broach holder is pulled down until the latch on the foot lever engages the top of the collar on the broach holder. ..."
7. The Horseless AgeAutomobiles (1900)
"But the foot lever P also controls the friction clutch, by means of levers L and M and the connecting link, and before the hook on A engages (' ..."