Definition of Forceps delivery
1. Noun. Delivery in which forceps are inserted through the vagina and used to grasp the head of the fetus and pull it through the birth canal; since the forceps can injure the fetus this procedure has generally given way to cesarean deliveries.
Medical Definition of Forceps delivery
1. Assisted birth of the child by an instrument designed to grasp the foetal head. (05 Mar 2000)
Forceps Delivery Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Forceps Delivery Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Forceps Delivery
Literary usage of Forceps delivery
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Principles and practice of obstetrics by Gunning S. Bedford (1869)
"... a Precious Resource when employed with Judgment— Statistics of Forceps Delivery—What is the true Power of the Forceps?—Is it a Tractor or Compressor? ..."
2. Edinburgh Medical Journal (1893)
"G. Swayne makes an interesting contribution to the literature of forceps delivery, by detailing his experiences during a period of fifty years' obstetric ..."
3. Therapeutic Gazette (1907)
"In the majority of cases we believe that in the mother's interests forceps delivery is safer than version, as far as the operation itself goes. ..."
4. Difficult labour: A Guide to Its Management for Students and Practitioners by George Ernest Herman (1894)
"Showing forceps delivery with Occiput behind. (After 11. liar UK.) the brim, and your examination makes it certain that there is none at the outlet : in ..."