Definition of Forest tent caterpillar
1. Noun. Larvae of a gregarious North American moth that spins a web resembling a carpet rather than a tent; serious defoliator of deciduous trees.
Lexicographical Neighbors of Forest Tent Caterpillar
Literary usage of Forest tent caterpillar
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Annual Report by Illinois Farmers' Institute (1916)
"It is known to entomologists as the forest tent caterpillar, but in the ... Baltimore Oriole attacking nest of forest tent caterpillar, Malacosoma disstria. ..."
2. Forestry in New England: A Handbook of Eastern Forest Management by Ralph Chipman Hawley, Austin Foster Hawes (1912)
"Protection against Insects and Fungi. — The destructive insects and fungi common to this region are few in number. The forest tent caterpillar attacks the ..."
3. Tree Planting on Streets and Highways by William Freeman Fox (1903)
"Felt, in the previous reports* of the Forest Commission, gives a minute description of the tussock moth, forest tent caterpillar, leopard moth, maple borer, ..."
4. Injurious Insects: How to Recognize and Control Them by Walter Collins O'Kane (1912)
"The forest tent caterpillar. Original. poison the caterpillars. The Forest Tent Caterpillar (Malacosoma disstria Hbn.) The common name of this species is ..."
5. The Canadian Entomologist by Entomological Society of Canada (1951- ), Entomological Society of Ontario (1899)
"I should therefore be in favour of retaining the names, " apple tent-caterpillar " and " forest tent-caterpillar," for the two species of ..."
6. Bibliography of the More Important Contributions to American Economic Entomology by United States Bureau of Entomology, Nathan Banks, Samuel Henshaw (1901)
"FELT, EP forest tent caterpillar. <Country Gentleman, 11 May, 1899, p. 367. 354. ... Notes on forest tent caterpillar, apple tent caterpillar, cutworms, ..."