Definition of Fothergilla
1. Noun. Any of several deciduous low-growing shrubs of the genus Fothergilla having showy brushlike spikes of white flowers in spring and fiery red and orange autumn color; grows from Alabama to the Allegheny Mountains.
2. Noun. Small genus of deciduous shrubs of the southeastern United States.
Generic synonyms: Plant Genus
Group relationships: Family Hamamelidaceae, Hamamelidaceae, Witch-hazel Family
Member holonyms: Witch Alder
Lexicographical Neighbors of Fothergilla
Literary usage of Fothergilla
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Hortus Kewensis; Or, A Catalogue of the Plants Cultivated in the Royal by William Aiton (1811)
"486. Daurian Paeony. Nat. of Siberia. Ir.trod. 179O, by John Bell, Esq. Fl. May and June. H. If . fothergilla. Gen. pi. 922. Cnl. truncatus, integerrimus. ..."
2. Hortus Kewensis: Or, A Catalogue of the Plants Cultivated in the Royal by William Aiton (1789)
"Broad-leav'd fothergilla. 8 foliis ;;cutis. fothergilla Gardeni. ... Narow-leav'd fothergilla: Afo/. of North America. Introd. 1765, by Mr. John Bulb. ..."
3. Arbustrum Americanum: The American Grove, Or, An Alphabetical Catalogue of by Humphry Marshall (1785)
"It grows naturally in a light gravelly foil. fothergilla. fothergilla. ... The Species with us, fothergilla Garden!. Carolinian Pother- gilla. ..."