Definition of Galeopsis tetrahit
1. Noun. Coarse bristly Eurasian plant with white or reddish flowers and foliage resembling that of a nettle; common as a weed in United States.
Generic synonyms: Herb, Herbaceous Plant
Group relationships: Galeopsis, Genus Galeopsis
Lexicographical Neighbors of Galeopsis Tetrahit
Literary usage of Galeopsis tetrahit
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Publications by English Dialect Society (1886)
"galeopsis tetrahit, L.—Ger. Hemp Agrimony. A common book-name for Eupatorium cannabinum, L.—With. ed. ii. Prior, p. 108. The species of Bidens are sometimes ..."
2. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States, Canada and the British by Nathaniel Lord. Britton, Hon. Addison. Brown (1913)
"Type species : galeopsis tetrahit L. Plant puberulent; leaves linear to ... galeopsis tetrahit L. S p. Pl. 579. 1753. A coarse and rough-hairy herb, ..."
3. Ice Or Water: Another Appeal to Induction from the Scholastic Methods of by Henry Hoyle Howorth (1905)
"... chamomile (Matricaria inodora) and hemp nettle (galeopsis tetrahit) is against the great antiquity of the deposit. Thirdly, in regard to Redhall quarry, ..."
4. Journal of Botany, British and Foreign (1904)
"54 as a form of galeopsis tetrahit may not be a hybrid between that species and tr. speciosa. I found (see Ann. Scott. Nat. Hist. 1904, p. ..."
5. The Fertilisation of Flowers by Hermann Müller, Charles Darwin (1883)
"galeopsis tetrahit, L.—The tissue below the ovary expands into a nectary which surrounds the two anterior divisions FIG. Idii. l—ii. ..."
6. The Vascular Flora of Pennsylvania: Annotated Checklist and Atlas by Ann Fowler Rhoads, William M. Klein (1993)
"Hemp-nettle Herbaceous annual Moist or swampy woods, lake margins and roadsides. galeopsis tetrahit L. var. bifida ..."