Definition of Galeorhinus
1. Noun. A genus of Carcharhinidae.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Carcharhinidae, Family Carcharhinidae
Member holonyms: Galeorhinus Zyopterus, Soup-fin, Soupfin, Soupfin Shark
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Galeorhinus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Galeorhinus
Literary usage of Galeorhinus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Annals of the Lyceum of Natural History of New York by New York Academy of Sciences (1862)
"Type galeorhinus galeus Blainville. Genus GALEOCERDO Müller and Henle, 1838. Type Galeocerdo tigrinus Müller and Henle. ..."
2. Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (1864)
"If the rule now adopted by many of invariably retaining a generic name for the first species mentioned is adopted, galeorhinus will supplant ..."
3. Synopsis of the Fishes of North America by David Starr Jordan, Charles Henry Gilbert (1883)
"After galeorhinus add the reference: C Blainville, Prodromo Fauno Française, Poiss. i, 85, 1816.) It is probable that our species is really distinct from ..."
4. The Big Game Fishes of the United States: A Collection of Critical Essays by Charles Burton Martin, Viktor Aleksandrovich Maksunov, Charles Frederick Holder, Amiya Chandra Chakravarty, David Malet Armstrong (1903)
"... where the water is not over three or four feet in depth, is the breeding-ground of a small and attractive tiger shark, known to science as galeorhinus. ..."
5. Fishes by David Starr Jordan (1907)
"Galeus (or galeorhinus) includes large sharks having spiracles, no pit at the root of the tail, and with large, coarsely serrated teeth. ..."