Definition of Garrisoning
1. Verb. (present participle of ''garrison'') ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Garrisoning
1. garrison [v] - See also: garrison
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Garrisoning Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Garrisoning
Literary usage of Garrisoning
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Pennsylvania Archives by Samuel Hazard, John Blair Linn, William Henry Egle, Pennsylvania Dept. of Public Instruction, George Edward Reed, Pennsylvania State Library, Thomas Lynch Montgomery, Gertrude MacKinney, Charles Francis Hoban (1877)
"... to serve as a convoy of the said Company's ships ; also for the garrisoning and preservation of the forts and places belonging to this State in ..."
2. The History of the Reign of the Emperor Charles V. by William Robertson (1817)
"reluctance, and as his army was so much weakened by garrisoning the great number of towns which he had reduced, that it was hardly in a condition to keep ..."
3. Documents Relative to the Colonial History of the State of New-York by John Romeyn Brodhead, Berthold Fernow, Edmund Bailey O'Callaghan, New York (State). Legislature (1881)
"... but also with some soldiery and more mechanics, who are needed for the garrisoning and erecting of the aforesaid places and strongholds. ..."
4. Pennsylvania Archives by Pennsylvania Dept. of public instruction, Pennsylvania State library, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania State Library (1891)
"They feel very much alarmed at the garrisoning of Presqu' i Mi', and endeavour to persuade the Indians that it is only to secure the property of that place, ..."
5. The Public Records of the State of Connecticut by Connecticut, Connecticut General Assembly, Connecticut Council of Safety (1894)
"Whereas the period for the continuance of the troops raised the last year for garrisoning the fort at New London is nearly arrived, and least the new ones ..."
6. History of the Fiftieth Regiment of Infantry, Massachusetts Volunteer by William Burnham Stevens, William C. Eustis, Solomon Nelson (1907)
"CHAPTER XVII garrisoning PORT HUDSON — THE REGIMENT EMBARK ON THE STEAMER OMAHA — VOYAGE UP THE RIVER TO CAIRO — JOURNEY HOME AFTER the formal surrender had ..."
7. History of the 51st Regiment of P.V. and V.V.: From Its Organization, at by Thomas H. Parker (1869)
"... Xl. Rumors—Prospect of garrisoning Baltimore—Changing stripes — Currying the log—Burnside hunting up the cooks—Off to Brice's creek—Camp Reno—Col. ..."
8. The Story of One Regiment: The Eleventh Maine Infantry Volunteers in the War by Maine Infantry 11th Regt., 1861-1866 (1896)
"Our Brigade Formation—A Military Execution—garrisoning Fort Wagner and Black Island—The "Veteran Volunteers " go North—Incidents of Life in Fort Wagner and ..."