Definition of Gelechiid
1. Noun. Small slender-winged moths whose larvae are agricultural pests.
Generic synonyms: Moth
Group relationships: Family Gelechiidae, Gelechiidae
Specialized synonyms: Gelechia Gossypiella, Grain Moth, Phthorimaea Operculella, Potato Moth, Potato Tuber Moth, Splitworm
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Gelechiid Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Gelechiid
Literary usage of Gelechiid
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Canadian Entomologist by Charles James Stewart Bethune, W. Saunders, Entomological Society of Canada (1951- ), E. B. Reed, Entomological Society of Ontario (1905)
"The gelechiid described by Mr. Wm. D. Kearfott in the January number of the ... Revision American gelechiid», Proc. US Nat. Mus., XXV., p. 919. 1903. ..."
2. Entomological News and Proceedings of the Entomological Section of the by Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia Entomological Section (1921)
"It is a gelechiid, as shown by conservation of gelechiid characters in the female only of another member of the same genus. This example is all the more ..."
3. The Entomologist's Record and Journal of Variation by James William Tutt, Malcolm Burr (1890)
"This pamphlet collects together, from various sources, the American gelechiid species that have been described, with some critical notes thereon, ..."
4. The Moth Book: A Popular Guide to a Knowledge of the Moths of North America by William Jacob Holland (1903)
"FAMILY gelechiid/E " He buildeth his house as a moth." JOB.—xxvii, iS. This is a very extensive family of small moths which possess habits of considerable ..."