Definition of Genital herpes
1. Noun. An infection caused by herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2) that is usually transmitted by sexual contact; marked by recurrent attacks of painful eruptions on the skin and mucous membranes of the genital area.
Generic synonyms: Herpes Simplex, Cupid's Disease, Cupid's Itch, Dose, Sexually Transmitted Disease, Social Disease, Std, Vd, Venereal Disease, Venereal Infection, Venus's Curse
Medical Definition of Genital herpes
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genital Herpes
Literary usage of Genital herpes
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Healthy People 2000: National Health Promotion & Disease Prevention by DIANE Publishing Company (2004)
"19.5 Reduce genital herpes and genital warts, as measured by a reduction to 142000 and 385000 ... genital herpes ..."
2. Guide To Clinical Preventive Services by U. S. Preventive Services Task Force (1989)
"Epidemiology of genital herpes simplex virus infection. ... genital herpes in pregnancy: risk factors associated with recurrences and asymptomatic viral ..."
3. The Practice of surgery by James Gregory Mumford (1914)
"genital herpes genital herpes is an eruption on the prepuce and behind the corona. It appears as a series of vesicles and is multiple. ..."
4. The American Journal of the Medical Sciences by Southern Society for Clinical Investigation (U.S.) (1892)
"In 877 cases of genital herpes, the affection was observed to follow menstruation in 644 case* (73.11 per cent.) and occurring on the labia majora in 80 per ..."
5. A Treatise on diseases of the skin for advanced students and practitioners by Henry Weightman Stelwagon (1916)
"This paper, and the several preceding, all on genital herpes, are full and exhaustive and give many literature references. ..."
6. Diseases of the Skin: An Outline of the Principles and Practice of Dermatology by Malcolm Alexander Morris (1903)
"If ulcer- ation is extensive, and especially if there be much suppuration, it may be impossible at first to distinguish genital herpes from soft sores. ..."