Definition of Genus Desmidium
1. Noun. A genus of protoctist.
Generic synonyms: Protoctist Genus
Group relationships: Desmidiaceae, Family Desmidiaceae
Member holonyms: Desmid
Genus Desmidium Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Desmidium Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Desmidium
Literary usage of Genus Desmidium
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Scottish Cryptogamic Flora, Or, Coloured Figures and Descriptions of by Robert Kaye Greville (1827)
"Both AGARDH and LYNGBYE describe the] filaments as plane; and indeed, till the genus Desmidium was established by the former, the plant was referred to ..."
2. A Treatise on the British Freshwater Algae by George Stephen West (1904)
"All the filamentous Desmids dissociate into their individual cells prior to normal conjugation, with the exception of certain species of the genus Desmidium ..."
3. Common Objects of the Microscope by John George Wood (1861)
"18 exhibits an example of the genus Desmidium. In this genus the cells are either square or triangular in their form, having two teeth at their angles, ..."
4. Journal of Botany, British and Foreign (1904)
"... of the genus Desmidium. Borge describes the presence of a mucous envelope round the filaments, but there was no trace of such a mucous investment in the ..."