Definition of Genus Eumetopias
1. Noun. Sea lions.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Family Otariidae, Otariidae
Member holonyms: Eumetopias Jubatus, Steller Sea Lion, Steller's Sea Lion
Genus Eumetopias Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Eumetopias Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Eumetopias
Literary usage of Genus Eumetopias
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Contributions to the Natural History of Alaska: Results of Investigations by Lucien McShan Turner (1886)
"Genus EUMETOPIAS. EUMETOPIAS STELLERI (Lesson) Peters. Northern Sea-Lion. Too well known to need discussion in this connection. ..."
2. List of North American Land Mammals in the United States National Museum, 1911 by Gerrit Smith Miller, United States National Museum (1912)
"Genus EUMETOPIAS Gill. 6. Eumetopias GILL, Comm. Essex Inst., vol. 5, p. 7. Type, 1 'Otaria, californiana" = Otaria stellen LESSON. ..."
3. Miscellaneous Publications by Ferdinand Vandeveer Hayden (1880)
"But nowhere else has there been systematic protection of the Fur Seals, or any measures taken to prevent wasteful or undue destruction. genus Eumetopias ..."
4. Proceedings by Zoological Society of London (1872)
"The genus Eumetopias has the hinder upper grinder directed backwards, especially at the tip. This seems to be common to the Sea-bears that have the hinder ..."
5. California Mammals by Frank Stephens (1906)
"genus Eumetopias GILL. (Typical—broad forehead. ) Molar separated from premolars by a space about as broad as that occupied by a premolar; molar double ..."
6. Catalogue of Seals and Whales in the British Museum by John Edward Gray (1871)
"... chiefly differs from Gill's genus Eumetopias (which was formed on my description and figure of ..."