Definition of Genus Megatherium
1. Noun. Type genus of the Megatheriidae.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Family Megatheriidae, Megatheriidae
Member holonyms: Ground Sloth, Megathere
Genus Megatherium Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Megatherium Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Megatherium
Literary usage of Genus Megatherium
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Dictionary of Geology and Mineralogy: Comprising Such Terms in Botany by William Humble (1843)
"A species of the genus Megatherium. It was thus named by Mr. Jefferson, President of the United States. Its remains were first discovered at a depth of two ..."
2. The New American Cyclopaedia: A Popular Dictionary of General Knowledge by George Ripley, Charles Anderson Dana (1861)
"The genus megatherium (Ouv.) is tho first described of the family, the first skeleton having been sent in 1789 from the vicinity of Buenos Ayres to Madrid, ..."
3. Elements of Geology: A Text-book for Colleges and for the General Reader by Joseph Le Conte (1903)
"The genus Megatherium ranged in Quaternary times through South American, and into North America as far as the shores of Georgia and South Carolina. ..."
4. The American Cyclopaedia: A Popular Dictionary of General Knowledge by George Ripley, Charles Anderson Dana (1883)
"The genus megatherium (Cuv.) is the flrst described of the family, the first skeleton having been sent in 1789 from the vicinity of Buenos Ayres to Madrid, ..."