Definition of Genus Paris
1. Noun. Sometimes placed in subfamily Trilliaceae.
Generic synonyms: Plant Genus
Group relationships: Family Liliaceae, Liliaceae, Lily Family
Member holonyms: Herb Paris, Paris Quadrifolia
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Paris
Literary usage of Genus Paris
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Medical Botany; Or, Illustrations and Descriptions of the Medicinal Plants ...by John Stephenson, James Morss Churchill, Gilbert Thomas Burnett by John Stephenson, James Morss Churchill, Gilbert Thomas Burnett (1834)
"OF the genus Paris, two species only are known, Paris quadri- folia, which is a native of most countries of Europe, and Paris polyphylla, a plant which has ..."
2. The Homoeopathic Materia Medica: Arranged Systematically and Practically by Alphonse Teste (1854)
"It was successively attributed to several distinct plants, especially to a species of the 'genus Paris, then to a species of the genus lonicera, ..."
3. A Dictionary of Pharmaceutical Science: A Guide for the Pharmaceutist by Hiram V. Sweringen (1882)
"A plant of the genus Paris (Paris quadrifolia), possessing narcotic properties, and formerly regarded as a powerful love philter. TRUMPET FLOWER. ..."
4. The American Botanist edited by Willard Nelson Clute (1917)
"Another variation is that in which an extra member appears in each whorl, but this is not surprising when we reflect that the Old World genus Paris, ..."