Definition of Genus buteo
1. Noun. Broad-winged soaring hawks.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Accipitridae, Family Accipitridae
Member holonyms: Buteonine, Buteo Jamaicensis, Red-tailed Hawk, Redtail, Buteo Lagopus, Rough-legged Hawk, Roughleg, Buteo Lineatus, Red-shouldered Hawk, Buteo Buteo, Buzzard
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Buteo
Literary usage of Genus buteo
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Birds by Eugene William Oates, William Thomas Blanford (1895)
"Genus BUTEO, Cu.vier, 1800. In the genus Buteo the bill is small or moderate, the culmen is curved from the cere, the commissure nearly straight, ..."
2. An introduction to the Birds of Australia by John Gould (1848)
"Genus BUTEO. Several species of the genus Buteo are dispersed over the great continents of Europe, Asia, Africa and America, but only one has yet been ..."
3. Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History by American Museum of Natural History (1907)
"genus buteo. Buteo CUVIER, Le$. d'Anat. Comp., I, tabl. ii, 1799. Proposed for the "Buses." In the same author's Tabl. e'le'ment. de 1'Hist. nat., 1798, p. ..."
4. The Auk: Quarterly Journal of Ornithology by American Ornithologists' Union, Nuttall Ornithological Club (1920)
"(Cf. Oberholser, THE AUK, XXXVI, No. 4, October, 1919, pp. 567-568.) Its only North American species, now in the genus Buteo, therefore becomes ..."