Definition of Genus capsicum
1. Noun. Chiefly tropical perennial shrubby plants having many-seeded fruits: sweet and hot peppers.
Generic synonyms: Asterid Dicot Genus
Group relationships: Family Solanaceae, Potato Family, Solanaceae
Member holonyms: Capsicum, Capsicum Pepper Plant, Pepper, Capsicum Annuum Conoides, Cone Pepper, Capsicum Annuum Longum, Cayenne, Cayenne Pepper, Chili Pepper, Chilli Pepper, Jalapeno, Long Pepper, Bell Pepper, Capsicum Annuum Grossum, Paprika, Pimento, Pimiento, Sweet Pepper, Sweet Pepper Plant, Capsicum Annuum Cerasiforme, Cherry Pepper, Bird Pepper, Capsicum Baccatum, Capsicum Frutescens Baccatum, Capsicum Frutescens, Hot Pepper, Tabasco Pepper, Tabasco Plant
Genus Capsicum Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Capsicum Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Capsicum
Literary usage of Genus capsicum
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Eat Your Food! Gastronomical Glory from Garden to Gut: A Coastalfields ...by Aaron Brachfeld, Aaron Brachfeld and Mary Choate, Mary Choate by Aaron Brachfeld, Aaron Brachfeld and Mary Choate, Mary Choate (2007)
"Chili Peppers Chili peppers are perennial shrubs of the genus Capsicum. ... The genus Capsicum is of the family Solanaceae, which includes the tomato, ..."
2. Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States: Annotated for Statistical ...edited by Stephen Koplan, Deanna Tanner Okun edited by Stephen Koplan, Deanna Tanner Okun (2006)
"However, dried or crushed or ground fruits of the genus Capsicum (peppers) or of the genus Pimenta (eg, allspice) are excluded from this chapter (heading ..."
3. Proceedings of the American Pharmaceutical Association at the Annual Meeting by American Pharmaceutical Association, National Pharmaceutical Convention (1902)
"An interesting account of chillies and capsicums, embracing the botanical study of the genus capsicum, the history and anatomy of the fruits, ..."
4. The Encyclopædia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and by Hugh Chisholm (1910)
"The fruits of plants of the genus Capsicum have all a strong, pungent flavour. The capsicums bear a greenish while flower, with a star-shaped corolla and ..."
5. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: “a” Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature edited by Hugh Chisholm (1910)
"... of the genus Capsicum have all a strong, pungent flavour. Tbe capsicums bear a greenish white flower, with a star-shaped corolla and five anthers ..."