Definition of Genus ectopistes
1. Noun. A genus of Columbidae.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Columbidae, Family Columbidae
Member holonyms: Ectopistes Migratorius, Passenger Pigeon
Genus Ectopistes Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Ectopistes Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Ectopistes
Literary usage of Genus ectopistes
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Hand-book to the Birds of Great Britain by Richard Bowdler Sharpe (1897)
"genus ectopistes. Ectopistes, Swainson, Zool. Journ. p. 362 (1827). Type, E, migratorius (Linn.). The following is the only representative of the genus ..."
2. Catalogue of the Birds in the British Museum by Richard Bowdler Sharpe, British Museum (Natural History). Dept. of Zoology (1893)
"and C. migra* Swainson, among the characters of the genus Ectopistes, says that the tail toria, L., a* the types ; the same author restricted the genus ..."
3. The Natural History of the Birds of Great Britain and Ireland. by William Jardine (1842)
"THE genus Ectopistes was long since established by Mr. Swainson, for the Passenger and Carolina Pigeons of America. They are closely allied to the last, ..."
4. The Canadian Journal of Industry, Science and Art by Canadian Institute (1849-1914) (1860)
"Quite common. Breeds near the city- Genus Coccyzus.—AMERICAN CUCKOO. 1. C. erythropthalmus—Black-billed Cuckoo. Not very rare. genus ectopistes. ..."