Definition of Genus galeopsis
1. Noun. Erect annual European herbs.
Generic synonyms: Asterid Dicot Genus
Group relationships: Family Labiatae, Family Lamiaceae, Labiatae, Lamiaceae, Mint Family
Member holonyms: Dead Nettle, Galeopsis Tetrahit, Hemp Nettle
Genus Galeopsis Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Galeopsis Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Galeopsis
Literary usage of Genus galeopsis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Publications by English Dialect Society (1886)
"A name for the genus Galeopsis, With. ed. iv., and applied more especially to Galeopsis Tetrahit, L.—Prior (p. 108) says ' more properly Hemp-Dead-Nettle. ..."
2. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1918)
"A species of the genus Galeopsis (G. tetrahit) is called dead-nettle, as is one of the species of Stachys (S. palustris). It was an old belief that the ..."
3. A Zulu-Kafir Dictionary: Etymologically Explained, with Copious by Jacob Ludwig Döhne (1857)
"The dead-nettle ; a plant of the genus galeopsis, growing from 2—3 feet high, the tops of which are eaten as a vegetable in times of scarcity. ..."
4. Zeitschrift für die deutschösterreichischen Gymnasien (1904)
"... gruppe des genus galeopsis zu dem bedeutsamen Ergebnis geführt, daß es nach den überaus sorgfältigen nnd recht mühevollen Untersuchungen des Verf.s ..."