Definition of Genus macrotis
1. Noun. A genus of Peramelidae.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Family Peramelidae, Peramelidae
Member holonyms: Bilby, Macrotis Lagotis, Rabbit Bandicoot, Rabbit-eared Bandicoot
Genus Macrotis Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Macrotis Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Macrotis
Literary usage of Genus macrotis
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Annals and Magazine of Natural History by Taylor and Francis, William Jardine (1847)
"... and one sub-genus (Macrotis); none of the other districts of continental Australia possess any genera which are not found elsewhere. ..."
2. A Natural History of the Mammalia by George Robert Waterhouse (1846)
"... and one sub-genus (Macrotis) ; none of the other districts of continental Australia possess any genera which are not found elsewhere. ..."
3. Reports on Zoology for 1843, 1844 by Andreas Johann Wagner, Franz Hermann Troschel, Wilhelm Ferdinand Erichson, Carl Th. Ernst Siebold (1847)
"The genus Macrotis has also been found upon Jamaica. (Ann. of Nat. Hist. xiii, p. 224.) Two new species have been added to G. Megaderma. ..."
4. Companion to the Botanical Magazine: Being a Journal, Containing Such by Sir William Jackson Hooker (1836)
"The, other species is the Black-tailed Deer (genus macrotis of Say), of a darker hue on the back, and bluish grey, ..."
5. Proceedings by Zoological Society of London (1843)
"Among these, Mr. Gray observes, are some specimens of the genus Macrotis, a genus which he had recently established upon a Bat from Hayti, showing that this ..."