Definition of Genus malpighia
1. Noun. Type genus of the Malpighiaceae.
Generic synonyms: Rosid Dicot Genus
Group relationships: Family Malpighiaceae, Malpighiaceae
Member holonyms: Jiqui, Malpighia Obovata
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Malpighia
Literary usage of Genus malpighia
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Century Dictionary: An Encyclopedic Lexicon of the English Language by William Dwight Whitney (1890)
"A natural order of dicotyledonous polypetalous plants belonging to the cohort Geraniales, typified by the genus Malpighia. It is characterized by a ..."
2. Torreya by Torrey Botanical Club (1913)
"SHORTER NOTES THE genus malpighia IN JAMAICA.—Heretofore we have known five species of Malpighia from Jamaica, West Indies, together with the apparently ..."
3. The Treasury of Botany: A Popular Dictionary of the Vegetable Kingdom; with by John Lindley (1866)
"... and nearly allied to the genus Malpighia, but having the racemes of flowers axillary. Styles separate, or fused together; fruit fleshy, ..."
4. Senate Documents, Otherwise Publ. as Public Documents and Executive by United States Congress. Senate (1861)
"Of the genus Malpighia, one or two forms were seen adorning the banks of the Atrato, and also one species which may belong to the ..."